Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply?

Submit a Creative Arts Charter School Student Application Form with required documentation. Applications are available at our scheduled tours, or are available via e-mail to families after they have completed a school tour. Please visit the How to Apply page for more information.

What is the time line for the application process?

Applications are accepted from the date of our first tour in September through January. To be eligible for the first lottery, you must submit a completed application with correct documentation by Friday, January 15, 2016 at 3pm. CACS conducts its lottery in March and mails offers by mid-March. Offers continue to be sent until all spaces are filled.

Do I add Creative Arts to SFUSD’s enrollment application?

No. Creative Arts’ enrollment process is separate from the San Francisco Unified School District (SFUSD) process. If you are applying to SFUSD, do not list CACS as one of your choices on SFUSD’s enrollment form.

If you are chosen in the lottery, you will receive a registration form from Creative Arts, which is also submitted to the SFUSD Educational Placement Center for inclusion in the SFUSD student database. Creative Arts students are part of SFUSD.

Does CACS accept students who do not live in San Francisco?

Yes. However, our application guidelines allow us to give admission preference to San Francisco residents. Accepted applicants who do not reside in San Francisco must apply for and receive an inter-district transfer from their home school district.

How does CACS select its students?

We conduct a random public lottery overseen by a district representative from the Educational Placement Center.

Are there preferences given to any students in the lottery process?

Yes. Please see our “Student Selection Priority Factors” on the How to Apply page.

If my child has an Individual Education Plans (IEP), can I still apply to CACS?

Yes. When submitting your application, provide a copy of the most current IEP. We will review this document to ensure your child’s needs (as outlined in the IEP) are met.

How do students transfer to CACS?

Students who wish to transfer to CACS must submit a fully completed application with correct documentation. Please submit an application as soon as you decide you want to transfer. Transfer students not enrolled immediately will be placed on our waiting list.

If I miss the application deadline, can I still apply?

After the January 15 deadline, CACS continues to accept applications through mid-June. After that time, the enrollment office is closed until the start of the next school year. Contact us directly to apply before the next application period.